Another module which our team created at Sitecore Hackathon 2021 was for Marketers. The tracking of the Sharing buttons. There are few paid thirdparty tools which provides this feature but there is also a free service which we normally use in our project and thought lets create a Sitecore Module for the same.
- The use case of sharing the pages on website on Social Media channels is very common.
- Most of the teams create it manually using a .Net component or some teams use the paid thirdparty plugins to give the authors/marketers the capability to share the content on Social Media.
- This tool provides the expected functionality but also powers the marketer’s expectation by giving the analytics of which all URLs are shared, from which device it is shared, etc.
- For example: If there are some large no. of users from India sharing the content from your site, then India can be your hot market to target for in all the campaigns.
Pre-requisites and Dependencies
⟹ For a plain vanilla Sitecore Instance, install the AddThis Plugin for Sitecore-1.0.zip and you are good to go.
⟹ Installation requires 2 simple steps:
- Install the AddThis Plugin for Sitecore-1.0.zip.
- Add the rendering “AddThis Plugin Social Share” under the path “/sitecore/layout/Renderings/Feature/Social Share/AddThis Plugin Social Share” on any page where you want the Social Share options with the placeholder (Ex. main)
⟹ Please make sure you create the AddThis account and add the id or use the one which present for Demo purpose here – /sitecore/system/Modules/AddThis Plugin/AddThis Dashboard Details.
- Track all the activities on the Social Media sharing options here – https://www.addthis.com/dashboard#dashboard-analytics
The Dashboard looks like below:
Try using this plugin and share your feedback.
Thank you.. Keep Learning.. Keep Sitecoring 🙂
2 thoughts on “Sitecore Module – AddThis Plugin”
I don’t understand, you just installed an existing 3rd party tool AddThis? AddThis is terribly slow, their portal can’t run any analytics and there is no support, even for paid users (they don’t respond).
It was doing wonders 2 years back.. May be it is not the way to go forward. But Analytics work efficiently for us (touch wood). We used a turn around to remove the slowness of this tool. You can asynchronously load the AddThis scripts so it doesn’t stop your web page from load. Hope it helps!